Thursday, December 5, 2019

The Importance of a Great Diet Dr. Pepper


Help!  

Me as the Town Crazy Cat Lady
surprising Lisa at work on Halloween

 So. If you or a loved one is going through any type of terminal illness currently, you've probably already realized how overwhelming this all can be. My advice to you? Take a break. Ask for help. Scream for help if you need to get someone's attention. People are not mind-readers. If you don't ask, how are they supposed to know? Sometimes people have family they can rely on and others have friends. Relying on them too often can make the patient and primary caregiver feel like they're being a burden. Nobody likes to feel like a burden. The best thing you can do is start researching. Start making phone calls and asking questions. Don't worry about "bothering" people. This is a life, not a recommendation for a good restaurant. They won't mind. Just do it already.
I've heard people say that once a hospice organization is called in that the patient gives up or just passes very quickly after that. According to my friend Lisa who works for hospice in another county, that's the perception because people wait so late to ask for hospice care. She told me that studies have shown that the earlier hospice is called, the longer a patient usually lives and with a higher quality of life. Hospice isn't just a volunteer who comes to sit with the patient for an hour or two a week. It's a whole team of nurses, social workers, and chaplains as well as countless people we'll probably never meet, all working to keep the patient happy, comfortable and with any and every need met 24/7. One phone call is all we would have to make if we needed anything. At that point, the team would go into action to take care of whatever or contact whomever we needed. So if you're a caregiver, don't wait until you're ready to have a nervous breakdown yourself to ask for help. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It's a sign of strength. It's knowing that you can't possibly do it all and that Google maybe isn't your best resource for things like this. (No offense, Google. You know I love you.) They called a local hospice about two weeks ago and I just can't tell you the difference it's already made in all of our lives, not just Judy's.

Still, Have Fun   

Judy and I in @1982

In case you missed it, Unk & Judy have always been very fun-loving people. They've traveled the world and made friends every step of the way. Many they've lost touch with over the years but all remain treasured memories that they often talk about to this day. Reminiscing is very important, especially if there are good memories. Fun, however, is absolutely essential. 
Last weekend, I decided that owning one pair of Spring pajamas just wasn't enough. I had recently purchased them after deciding that my holey tee shirts and sleep shorts just weren't appropriate for my weekend jaunts to their house. I liked the set I had recently bought so I headed back to buy another set, maybe in a larger size since mine seemed to have shrunk in the dryer just a little. I got back to their house and paraded through the living room where Judy was sitting on the couch and Unk in his chair, me doing my worst catwalk modeling in my new PJs and singing the "Miss America" theme song to try to take their minds off of illness for a few seconds. They smiled indulgently and remarked that they really liked them in pink, a little like you would humor a 4-year-old showing you the flower he just picked. I then sat down in the big leather chair in the middle of the room to talk with Judy while I drank my perfect, slightly frozen bottle of diet Dr. Pepper and she ate a snack. (No comments about the evils of sodas, please. I'm allergic to coffee. You do the math.) I was absentmindedly watching the heavy traffic pass by their house (they live on one of the busiest roads in town) and admiring the daffodils that were already appearing in their front yard. When she finished eating, she handed me her beautiful china plate to take to the kitchen. I stood up with her plate in one hand and my diet Dr. Pepper in the other and turned to walk into the kitchen. That's when it happened. Just as I passed Unk's chair, my pajama bottoms slipped right to the floor. Judy and I both burst out laughing as I duck-walked the rest of the way past Unk and into the kitchen, sat the plate and soda on the kitchen table and pulled up my pants. As I turned around, red-faced with tears of laughter starting, I noticed it. The front door had been completely open for the whole show! We laughed harder at that and then even harder still at Unk sitting there, face nose to screen with his iPad like a blind man trying to watch the moon landing, the perfect gentleman, not even letting on that he knew anything out of the ordinary had just happened. She and I were howling. Someone asked me, "Why didn't you drop something and grab your pants??" I replied, "Because I wasn't about to break her china and you just don't waste a perfectly iced diet Dr. Pepper." 

Today's Recipe 

The Perfectly Iced Diet Dr. Pepper:

The key to my heart is not flowers.
 It's a bouquet of diet Dr. Pepper.
Don't judge me.

  • One 16.9 ounce diet Dr. Pepper
  1. Crack the seal on that bottle of deliciousness
  2. Drink 10%
  3. Screw the top back on securely and place in freezer
  4. Leave it for about 20-30 minutes, depending on your freezer temperature and longer if the bottle wasn't already in the refrigerator
  5. Three hours later when you finally remember it, go take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. It'll happen. Believe me.
  • Step number 2 is vitally important. The most important thing I remember from Mrs. Abernathy's 11th-grade chemistry class is that water expands about 9% when it freezes. Sorry Ms. Ab, but that's really what I consider the most important information you ever gave me. I use that every single day. 


1 comment:

  1. Glad I sat down at the kitchen table to read your latest update. I started laughing as soon as I saw “cat lady “ costume. I giggled so hard I had to hold on to my belly as I relived seeing you duck walk through kitchen doorway with your bloomers showing and Ruel nearby with his nose almost touching the iPad. Anybody not Following you is missing a good Southern writer. Judy Stancill 3/3/2018

    ReplyDelete